Book Chelle

Froi of the Exiles

Froi of the Exiles - Melina Marchetta Posted on Book Chelle.Melina Marchetta is one of my top 5 favorite authors. If it weren’t for a few nostalgia/growing up loyalty reasons, she would probably be my favorite author. With Froi of the Exiles, the follow-up story to Finnikin of the Rock, I saw the depth of emotion and turmoil that Marchetta brought me to. I saw more of her talent that I never knew existed. And, above all else, I learned more about a world that I desperately wish existed.I won’t write much about the details of Froi of the Exiles. I won’t write any specifics to spoil anything just in case you haven’t read Finnikin of the Rock or any other Marchetta story. And if you haven’t yet, please fix this immediately. You will not be disappointed at all. Trust me.Froi wasn’t someone who I immediately connected with, in Finnikin of the Rock. I was hesitant to accept him as a part of a cast that I was already so in love with. But Froi surprised me so much in this book. He matured into this young man with intense personal thought and deep emotional feelings. I respected his actions, and through them I understood who he is and who he will become to be. Froi was a great hero. He really showed me perseverance and determination, all while struggling with his on emotions and conscience. I love him.The characterization is superb. There are very few who develop and nurture characters as well as Marchetta does. I was perplexed with how Marchetta managed to reveal plots like layers of onions. Each word wasn’t written without purpose and meaning, and it was all flawlessly done in a cohesive way. Marchetta brought these characters to darkness. I know that the theme of Finnikin was a little dark also, but with Froi of the Exiles, she really brought out the evil and creepy.Lumatere and its neighboring lands are more than just words on a page. For me, Marchetta did more than just develop these places for the imagination. Instead, she created a world to be lived in. Each place, each tree, and each ounce of air was a part of an amazing imaginary experience. It was realistic and memorable, making a mark in my imaginary world map. How can I not love Charyn? It has its own magic and appeal, and with the time spent there, it erased all of my preconceived notions and took away all the pain that I felt from Finnikin.Froi of the Exiles is written in a third person perspective, and it was perfect for the story. Marchetta tells the tale through the eyes of each character so seamlessly that I almost didn’t notice the switch. There is an exciting thrill factor that I anticipated with each passing sentence. This fantasy structured story wowed me. I love the writing. It’s like her words are like friends, telling you a familiar tale that has been told before.Marchetta is a literary genius. When I read one of her stories, they really last in your memories. I’ve had Froi on my mind for a week now, and I don’t think this is going away any time soon. I’ve read Finnikin several times now, and I’m sure that will be the same for Froi of the Exiles. I highly urge you to read Froi, Finnikin, and the Lumatere Chronicles. You really won’t regret it.