Book Chelle

Stolen Nights: A Vampire Queen Novel

Stolen Nights - Rebecca Maizel Review posted on Dark Faerie Tales.In the follow up to Rebecca Maizel’s wonderful Infinite Days, comes Stolen Nights. I was captivated by Infinite Days and wondered where else Maizel could take Lenah, Rhode, and her lovers. The release date for Stolen Nights was pushed back, and after finishing it, it was well worth the wait.Stolen Nights picks up where Infinite Days left off. Lenah is a human once again, and long gone are the days of being the Queen of the Vampires. She no longer has Rhode, and has moved on past Vicken and onto Justin. Sacrifices has helped her get to where she has, but the price has become too high. Her days as a vampire has caught up with her and it’s time to pay the price. The Aeris have brought punishment upon her, forcing her to face her actions as a ruthless vampire. A new vampire queen is wrecking havoc, and she must fix the situation or else face the consequences.I had a love and hate relationship with Lenah, thinking that she was selfish. But on the other hand, she was a woman in love. Lenah loved and loved, never thinking about the consequences. It bothered me a little bit, but once I put myself in her shoes, and in Maizel’s writing shoes, I understood where it was going. Love is a powerful emotion, and Maizel really drove that message throughout the book. Not just romantic love, but friendship and other types of love.Humanity changes people, in a paranormal sense, and Maizel showcased the strengths and weaknesses between vampire life and human life. It was amusing to see Vicken and his human antics, living like his former self, but in the present century. Rhode still had that air about him, forever a warrior and a leader, filled with strength and arrogance. But you can’t deny that the companionship and loyalty is there, with any of them, and I really loved that. I didn’t love Justin in Stolen Nights as I did in Infinite Days. He changed, but so did the rest of them.To me, it felt like Stolen Nights carried a darker theme. It was definitely more somber, and maybe even more depressing. It had this forbidden love mood throughout the book, and it was putting this huge grey cloud over my head. It was sad to see where each character went, personality wise. Some actions, I didn’t agree with, especially when it came to love’s affections, but it was honest. Maizel didn’t sugar coat anything. You win some and you lose some, whether in times of love and/or war.I felt like Stolen Nights needed more. There were a lot of questions in my mind after finishing the book. I wanted to know more about the Aeris, what really happened to Rhode, and why things were done in a certain way. The twist in the end is heart-wrenching. I didn’t expect that at all. Tears for at least ten minutes.Stolen Nights was a good conclusion to Infinite Days. Definitely somber and depressing, like I said earlier, but not everything is roses. Maizel knows her audience and definitely doesn’t hold back. If you’ve read Infinite Days, you must pick up Stolen Nights.