Book Chelle

Etiquette & Espionage

Etiquette & Espionage - Gail Carriger Posted on Dark Faerie Tales.Gail Carriger’s Etiquette & Espionage is her debut into the Young Adult world. Set in the same world as her Parasol Protectorate series, Etiquette & Espionage is a steampunk paranormal, filled with historical elements and delicious paranormal guests. From the first few pages, I was hooked. Now please let me gush a little more so I can get you to be hooked as well.Sophronia Teminnick is a free spirit who has caused her mother many headaches. For the youngest in her family, and in the 1800s, she is expected to be prim and proper. But that is not the case for Sophronia. To correct Sophronia’s ways, she has been sent to Madame Geraldine’s School for Ladies of Quality, a finishing school. But little does Mrs. Teminnick know that behind the facade of a finishing school, Madame Geraldine’s is actually a training school for espionage and other spy activities.I loved Sophronia. I would have wanted to be her at her age. She is smart and witty, funny and fun. Carriger made her into an engaging character filled with confidence, great common sense, and enough modesty to be one of my favorite characters. Carriger voiced her really well, creating this fantastic heroine to follow around. It doesn’t matter that Sophronia wasn’t considered to be lady-like, nor does it matter that she wasn’t as prim and proper as the others, I loved her for who she was.Etiquette & Espionage has some fantastic characters, with personalities on each side of the spectrum. Adding a paranormal quality adds to the dimensions of each character, allowing for the pages to be filled with more personality than I ever expected. From the eccentric teachers who teach the students about stealth and proper sword fighting, to the students themselves, who all make for a merry bunch of misfits.Most of Carriger’s world derive from an already established setting, familiar to those who have read her previous books. But I will say that within Etiquette & Espionage, there are elements that are new and refreshing. Steampunk details compliment this historical era, making the visual background stimulating to my mind. I loved the clothing, adding to the many vivid images in my mind.Etiquette & Espionage is written in third person, but there is something so personal about the way Carriger does it. I still felt close to Sophronia and knew her thoughts. Carriger filled the pages with realistic cultural references, from the words used in dialogue or mannerisms describing the characters. I understood where Carriger was coming from, as well as her characters. Not once did I take a moment to pause and second guess what I was reading. The words flowed well and the story moved perfectly.I highly urge you to read Etiquette & Espionage. The characters and the world was engaging and enjoyable. The dialogue was humorous and witty and I enjoyed it every page of the way.