Book Chelle

Three Sisters

Three Sisters (Blackberry Island) - Susan Mallery Posted on Dark Faerie Tales.There are certain authors that I know will write strong women with realistic scenarios. This case, my go-to author was Susan Mallery. In the second book of the Blackberry Island series, Three Sisters captures the essence and differences of three women, while celebrating strength through their femininity. It isn’t about “girl power” by any means, but instead Mallery tells the story about the different stages in someone’s life. Mallery has always shown me the positive and negative sides of a women, and does it in a way that is enjoyable. Three Sisters is about three women who each have their own problems and hidden secrets. Andi was left jilted at the altar and moves to a town to start anew. In renovating a house into her new practice and her home, she has met Wade, who may be trouble for her heart. Boston has suffered a tragic loss, one a mother never should have to endure. She has not been able to move on, and for that her marriage is suffering. Deanna is misunderstood. Where she thinks life should be about perfection and assurance, her family thinks is cold and unloving. Her tragic past has caused an OCD that is unhealthy and may cause her to lose her family.Three different women, three different lives, but each one gravitates towards each other. Together, the help heal each other. Together, they laugh and love. Andi is the first character you meet, and is the strongest out of the bunch. She becomes the backbone of the story, in my opinion. She is easy to relate to; not only her life story, but mostly her newly found independence while slowly craving a companion. There’s a shift in her life that happens when she meets Boston, allowing her to open herself up for love and friendship. Boston’s story is the saddest. Being a new mother, I found the loss of her son to be devastated. Boston’s outlet for coping is to recapture her son’s face on an art canvas, over and over again. There’s a stalemate that she can’t get beyond, and it causes friction in her otherwise perfect marriage. There’s a vivaciousness in Boston that is subdued by cloud greys, and it’s truly heartbreaking. To see her open up to anything else was tear-jerking. Deanna’s story was the one that I didn’t fully relate to. She grew up in a very unprivileged way, never having enough to eat or never having a clean place to sleep. She was removed from that situation, but with emotional scars. As she became an adult, she became OCD to many things, all habits from her adolescent life. Her family and herself do not understand each other, nor do they understand her as a person. Deanna hides her fears, always wanting to have the perfect picture family. I just couldn’t connect to her, and I found myself skimming over her scenes.Mallery always tells a fluid story. I lose all sense of time when I read any of her stories, and I think that’s genius. I was able to get lost in the details of the characters, the plot, and everything in between. Mallery makes connections to her readers, always knowing what we want to read. She adds moments of sadness, enough so to make me cry. But on the other side, she’ll know when to balance that with happiness, giving you moments of relief through laughter. Mallery’s Three Sisters is a perfect weekend read. With the warmer weather coming along, this is the perfect read to take with you on your weekend getaway. Love is a huge theme for Three Sisters, and I think you will feel the same way about it, too.