Book Chelle

Speed of Light (Fenestra, #3) - Amber Kizer Review posted on Dark Faerie Tales.Speed of Light is the third book in the Fenestra series by Amber Kizer. In the long list of paranormal young adult stories, Speed of Light was a good addition. Angels, the battle versus good and evil, and a romance fill the pages of this story. Unfortunately, it was hard for me to connect to the story. By the end of the book, it just wasn't for me. Many people adored this book, as well as the series. But before you agree with me, let me tell you a few things so you can try to formulate your own opinion. What doesn't work for me doesn't necessarily mean it won’t work for you. The beginning of Speed of Light took a while for me to get into. I had to reread the first chapter twice before I could get the momentum going. The beginning had a good recap of the previous two books, but I think that ruined it a little for me. There were a lot of details, and I felt it slowed the pacing. But on the other side, there were moments were it was filled with action and fast-paced. To me, there wasn’t a good balance to absorb and comprehend the story, taking it all in to appreciate.The protagonist, Meridian, was someone that I loved and disliked. It was hard to get past her personality to love her intelligence, ability, and power. I wanted to fall in love with her with as much gumption as she deserves, but at times I just couldn’t connect with her. She grew so much, but there was still something that I couldn’t get with. Juliet, the one saved, and I didn’t have a relationship at all. Her personality was off-putting and her voice wasn’t something that I could stand behind. I felt she was strong in previous books, but a weak link in Speed of Light. What I did love about this story was exploring the world of the Fenestras. The culture, the lore, the history was something that I always wanted to know about and I got it. There were pleasant surprises which definitely piqued my interest. Kizer showed me the grand scheme of things, and showed the importance of it all. I was much more interested in the macro versus the micro. Overall, Speed of Light was just okay for me. There were a few things that I didn’t care for, in terms of reading preferences.