Book Chelle

Coda - Emma Trevayne Posted on Dark Faerie Tales.Many of my friends have been talking about Emma Trevayne’s Coda. Most loved the story, falling in love with the characters and their journey. I was excited when Coda released, because this meant that I could potentially fall in love also. The story behind Trevayne’s Coda is one like many aspiring authors, but in this case the dream came true. Not only is Coda an amazing read, but it has turned into one of my favorites for the year. Let me gush a little more so you can understand why I feel that way.Coda exists in a futuristic world where music is not only heard but connected to your life energy. Eighteen year-old Anthem lives the fine line of devotion and addiction. The Corp has ensured that their encoded music is enslaving, denoting the relationship between the government and the people were sound. By day, Anthem hooks into the Grid, one of the many draining his own energy to power the city. By night, he finds solace in raw music, music not encoded and tainted by the Corp. But no matter what Anthem does, whether that be performing with his underground band, or tracking another tune to get the next hit, he cannot escape the music. But when his best friend dies suspiciously, he realizes that it’s time for things to change; a revolution. Anthem was someone that felt like I’ve known him all my life. I felt so connected to him, definitely sharing his passion for music. Trevayne wrote him in a way that made you take notice, outlining his imperfections and his attributes, but in a way that made you adore him. Anthem demanded attention, show you that he’s not just about the music, it’s what he is. I loved how he had compassion and tenacity, having this perfect harmony between the two. I loved him from the first beat, and he was a great character to get to know.Trevayne proved that everyone in Coda had a story and there was something to be learned from every character’s experience. They each knew their foundation, but it was never revealed to the reader until the right moments. The supporting characters were perfect , and I respected how she connected everything. Her characters were unconventional and Trevayne wasn’t afraid. She embraced it, risking something for what she loved, and it reflected beautifully. I loved how Trevayne describes the love of music, like an addictive drug. It was realistic, and I felt it was accurate. She writes about following the norm, being one of the many, but unlike many dystopian societies that tell the same tale, she does it in a way that is unique and eye opening. Coda had a great plot progression. I never felt like it was slowing down or going too fast. I was able to absorb the words and feel the emotions intended on each page. The world was fantastic! I wanted to live in it, to be a part of it. Who cares if the music was encoded. I wanted to be plug in and just track away into bliss. I want more. I want to know what happens next. I have this new addiction and its name is Coda by Emma Trevayne.