Book Chelle

'Til The World Ends: Dawn of EdenThistle & ThorneSun Storm (Luna Books) - 'Julie Kagawa',  'Ann Aguirre',  'Karen Duvall' Average rating 3.5 for all 3 books.Posted on Dark Faerie Tales.Dawn of Eden by Julie Kagawa – 4 of 5 starsI didn’t realize Dawn of Eden was a prequel to Immortal Rules until after the end. And that might have been a good thing. I was enthralled by the story, the world, and Kagawa’s characters. Once I was finished with the story, I instantly wanted more. Dawn of Eden seemed a little more adult than The Immortal Rules, with a darker tone and definitely a more somber theme.Dawn of Eden had a complex world, evolving and decaying around the Red Lung virus. The Red Lung virus has spread across the United States, slowly infecting the citizens one at a time. In the beginning, it was only thought to be a severe and life-threatening flu, but everyone was wrong. In an apocalyptic-style world, it’s every man for himself. And for the main character, she has opted to stay behind to care for those who cannot care for themselves.Kagawa approaches this prequel in a different way, allowing the reader to imagine a realistic world and then turn it upside down. An outbreak that leads to vampires, that swarms like rabid zombies. Scary, no? I loved how engaging Kagawa wrote her characters. I felt more involved and invested than I normally would in a short story. Definitely my favorite of this anthology.Thistle & Thorne by Ann Aguirre – 3 of 5 starsLiving in a wasteland surrounded Fortress, there is a division of the world between the rich and the poor. The world is full of corruption and ugliness, changing to evolve around chemicals and spills. Like in most futuristic worlds, the world of Thistle & Thorne lacks resources. Most have to steal and pillage to survive, as is the case of our young siblings.Mari must do what she can to survive, even if she is to work for Starvos, the local bossman. Mari scavenges and pawn, doing what she can to deliver goods to her employer. But in her neighborhood, things aren’t as bleak as others, and this is the reason Starvos wants her out of the picture. In a job gone wrong, she meets Thorne.Mari was very innocent, at least from my perception. I felt that she seemed too innocent given the life that she leads. She is straightforward and honest, well as honest as one can be given who her employer is. I didn’t instantly connect with, not until she met Thorne. Thorne is the rogue knight in shining armor. He isn’t so clean and proper, but instead he’s a guy’s guy. He has unclear motivations, and I think it was because of that uncertain reason that fascinated me. There was chemistry between the two and it made for a pleasant read. Thistle & Thorne had a slow start for me, but slowly picked up the pace.Sun Storm by Karen Duvall – 2 of 5 starsIt was difficult for me to get into Sun Storm. I’m not certain if it was the disconnect between the characters and I, or even if it was the plot, but it took a while for me to finish this story. It’s also personal preference, so I still think you should give this story a shot.In Sun Storm, the trees are leafless and the lawns are brown. The rooftops are charred, because the world is enveloped with the scorching heat of the sun. No one dares venture outside anymore. Exposure kills you with Sun Fever, if you’re lucky. Otherwise, you’re left with altered DNA. In Sun Storm’s dystopian world, the circumstances were beyond the realms of fantasy.I didn’t connect with Sarah or Ian. Sarah seemed a little much and I didn’t find anything to relate with her. The relationship was hard to accept. In a case of insta-love, it was really fast. It seemed rushed and I couldn’t take a moment to accept what was going on. Sarah seemed a little much and I didn’t find anything to relate with her.