Book Chelle

Crewel - Gennifer Albin Posted on Dark Faerie Tales.Ginifer Albin’s Crewel is amazingly unique. I would categorize Crewel as a dystopian fantasy. Albin blurs the line of genres and writes this fantastic tale, one that I have become obsessed with. From the details, to the story plot, and many world-building components, I have quickly become a fan of the author and her story. Crewel is original and ingenious! Oh, I must not forget about the cover. It’s gorgeous and it definitely has to be added in my collection.Crewel follows the life in Arras, a world filled with talent and magic, and also home to Adelice Lewys. In Arras, the elite is classified as Spinsters, manipulating the looms of time, space, and matter. Only a select few are chosen for the screening to become a Spinster, and even fewer continue to become a Spinster. Weaving threads through the loom is magic and talent in itself, allowing it sustain Arras. But along with every seemingly perfect society, there is distrust and disorder, and Adelice has found herself right in the middle.Adelice Lewys is a great character. She has so many beliefs and morals that she follows. Adelice can weave time and matter without a loom. As far as she knows, this is unheard of. Going through training has already proven her talent, as well as gather the attention of many high-level people. But all of the success that is within reach doesn’t phase Adelice. Instead, she questions the integrity of the Spinsters’ actions and challenges the reasons of which things are done.The Guild of Spinsters is a character all in itself. The hierarchy, the politics, and the camaraderie all play a role in Crewel. Each action of a character has a distinct reaction, causing a domino effect of sorts. There are elements of romance, one that I wasn’t a huge fan of. Please let me clarify. I am never a fan of love triangles, and Crewel has a mild one. Josten and Erik both vie for the top spot, and it’s really hard to choose just one. Both described equally gorgeous and amazing in their own way. Wait until you read about them, you’ll want a piece of both of them.It’s amazing to see how each page reveals something new. It’s also mind-boggling to see a glimpse inside Albin’s mind. There’s a utopian sense of perfection and purity, where genders are separated, females are revered, and the elite hold all the power. Albin creates levels of depth in her story, adding science fiction elements mixed with a little bit of fantasy.While I am gushing for most of this book, I did find a few things that I didn’t necessarily like. I sometimes felt that Adelice needed a more solid base. She is a strong character, but I felt that there were things missing , things that would have answered for some of her shortcomings. I also felt like the evils of the world weren’t evil or sinister enough. There were a few awesome moments of terror, but not enough to cower in the corner. And while these are mostly personal taste items, I still highly urge you to read Crewel.