Book Chelle

The Dressmaker: A Novel - Kate Alcott Posted on Book Chelle.The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott tells the tale of several survivors of the Titanic. Fitting story given that 2012 marks the centennial anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. I must admit, I was interested in how Alcott told the tale. And to be even more honest, I was interested because Titanic was at one point, one of my favorite movies.The Dressmaker was a historical telling through the eyes of Tess Collins. Looking for a better life, Tess boards on the Titanic and becomes the newest maid to Lady Duff Gordon. Tess is exposed to the extravagance of the ship and also by the Lady Gordon. As most other stories, the sinking of the Titanic affects many onboard the ship. What I haven't read before, are the details leading up to the demise of the ship, as told first-hand through the survivors. I didn't connect to Tess as much as I wanted to. I understood her, and respected her, but I didn't appreciate her as much as I probably should have. Tess was like a kid in a candy store, living a new life and working for someone that she looked up to. After surviving the Titanic, she struggles to make her way in the new world while attempting to make a name for herself. The characters were well developed, but I felt the aftermath of the Titanic was the main character. From compromising situations and questionable ethics, the characters find themselves in many predicaments. This is where I felt lost in the story line. I was drawn to the romantic possibilities of the Titanic, but wasn't satisfied with the content nor the dialogue.Alcott's world seemed precise. The details were descriptive and extensive, illustrating what could have been a scene from the movie. To me, it seemed specific and particular. Alcott knew what her Titanic looked like, and didn't spare any details. But that could be why I couldn't connect to The Dressmaker. I wanted to feel a little more emotion and feeling, and a little less set up and construction. I wish I could have connected more with Tess and The Dressmaker. It had the makings for a historical tragedy, but seemed to fall short on romance. But don't take my word for it. Check out Alcott's The Dressmaker and relive the Titanic for yourself.