Book Chelle

Spin - Catherine McKenzie Posted on Book Chelle.I was drawn to Catherine McKenzie's Spin because of the synopsis. At the time of choosing this book, I was waist deep in young adult literature and I was looking for something different as a change of pace. The cover was aesthetically pleasing, and I felt that the state of the female was fitting for the title. Even without reading the synopsis, I would have automatically thought of the phrase, "spinning out of control."Kate Stanford is a 30-year old woman who has not yet grown up. In a sense, she hasn't left the college scene. She celebrates anything, without thought or conviction. So when she parties a little too hard for her birthday, and the day before the job interview of a lifetime, will she still be celebrating then? The answer is no. But, luckily for Kate, she was offered a second chance. And funny enough, she finds herself in rehab because of it.Kate Stanford was me, in another lifetime. Well, maybe except the heavy drinking, but everything else? Yes. Kate has a lot of issues that I think many women could relate to. Kate has a lot of insecurities, and unfortunately I think she drinks to subconsciously deal with it. But throughout the story, I saw glimpses of the real Kate - the Kate that doesn't need to pretend she's still in her 20s, or the Kate that doesn't need to pretend she is achieving something she isn't. I felt that McKenzie bringing her to rehab was a perfect way to face who she was as a person.I was drawn to the premise. Like I said earlier, I saw myself in Kate. I too was insecure at certain parts of my life, and I related to a lot of what Kate was going through. But even though this is Kate's story, the supporting characters brought a different view of self discovery and healing. At one point, I felt that the different characters in Spin portrayed a person's different parts of our personality. Each character dealt with something different, like many people in rehab do, and I think they each symbolized something important.Once I started reading Spin, I couldn't stop. McKenzie's writing is memorizing and her words the perfect tool. I fell in love with every character, and even though a majority of the time was spent in rehab, I wanted to belong. That's terrible, isn't it? But the love was present in McKenzie's story. I read about love for one's self and for one another.I cried and I laughed. I swooned and I obsessed over characters that I probably shouldn't have. But in my opinion? This book was perfect and very enjoyable. Think Girl, Interrupted meets TMZ. Hah! If you're a fan of contemporary women's literature, I highly suggest you pick this up and start reading today.