Book Chelle

Everneath - Brodi Ashton 3.5 but I rounded to a 4. Posted on Book Chelle.I was first drawn to Brodi Ashton’s Everneath because of the cover. The gorgeous red dress what wisps away while the eerie grey smoke begins to envelope the girl. It’s intriguing. The red bleeding to a grey? Beautiful. And I loved the simplicity of the font, with a touch of femininity.I heard a lot of mixed reviews of Everneath. Some loved it, others just thought it was okay, but I wanted to see for myself how I would react to it. There have been a lot of YA titles based on retellings of Greek mythology. And while Everneath has a hint of mythology, it goes beyond any expectations and breaks the mold. Everneath begins with a gripping prologue, instantly grabbing my attention and starving for more.Everneath is about a girl, Nikki Beckett, who disappeared into the Everneath, to escape one boy and to follow another. Nikki was promised for pain to go away, but instead ends up as a Forfeit, living a hundred years in a plane for the Everlings to be immortal. She is devoid of happiness, living only to feed emotions to the Everlings. Nikki has had enough, and has made her choice to disappear forever in the Tunnels. One last chance at goodbye, she returns to the surface for six months, before disappearing forever in the Tunnels.Ashton wrote Everneath with a dual time perspective. While the focus was on Nikki for a majority of the time, the story was split between before going to the Feed, and before going to the Tunnels. I saw Nikki grow as a person, but it wasn’t in a good way. I saw Nikki’s hope and dreams diminishing right before my eyes. I saw Nikki full of pain and sadness, and it made my heart hurt.Cole was someone who I didn’t like, at all. He was the antagonist from the start, and I didn’t feel any sort of sympathy for him. Maybe he was written to be portrayed that way. Maybe I wasn’t supposed to like him in any way. If that’s the case, job well done. He added the creep factor to Everneath, stalking, preying, just being plain detestable. I couldn’t sympathize with him, despite the reasons for his actions.My favorite part of the story? Jack. Between the past and present, Jack was the constant in the story. But I can’t tell you much about him without giving any spoilers away. There is something about Jack that creates a lasting relationship for me. He’s irreplaceable, and you’ll understand why when you read Everneath.Ashton created a world that blended the old with the new. She took the most interesting parts of several mythologies like a recipe for the person world. The concepts, the ideas, and the details intrigued me so much that I wanted to spend hours exploring the Everneath. But that might also be why I didn’t instantly love this book. There is a lot of ground to cover, a lot of history to recap on.This review was a little difficult to write. Ignore that I’m on medication and that I’m sick. I didn’t emotionally connect to this book right away. The pacing for the first half of the book felt slow to me, in comparison to the last half. I wasn’t emotionally invested in the characters until the last half either, and usually I prefer to be drawn to them right away. The premise was really good, but I wonder if I couldn’t attach to it right away because of all the detail that was being delivered.One thing is for sure, I want to know what happens next. Despite what I felt about the first half of the book, I loved the last half. So many questions I need answers to. Why?!