Book Chelle

Where She Went - Gayle Forman Posted on Book Chelle.When my friends told me that I was going to love Where She Went more than If I Stay, I was hesitant to believe them. Yes, they were the same friends who told me that I would love If I Stay, but I was still reluctant to fall in love. You see, I became emotionally attached to If I Stay. I invested my own emotions and fell in love with each individual character. They all made me laugh, and they all made me cry. I adopted them and loved them, only to say goodbye in the end.It was heartbreaking. I was heartbroken.I wasn't sure if I had it in me to do it all over again. Especially the day after.Where She Went takes place three years after If I Stay. After Mia woke up, she endured and survived every surgery, physical therapy, and other obstacle that was thrown her way. Mia went to Julliard, and once she boarded that plane, she never went back. Adam and Shooting Star rose to stardom, earning every recognition for their album Collateral Damage. He had and separate life from Mia, the Halls, and Oregon. Just like Mia, he disconnected himself from the past.Today, Adam is in New York, and through coincidence and chance, bring the two back together. The present has brought back the past, and the past is revived through Adam. There are questions that need to be answered, but will Adam ask them? Or will he leave New York still wondering Where She Went.Spoken through Adam's voice, Where She Went is one of the most beautifully written stories that I have read, maybe even ever. While Mia's voice in If I Stay was full of hope and love, Adam's voice in Where She Went had a taste of bitter darkness.Forman did a wonderful job with Adam's voice. There is a clear difference between If I Stay and Where She Went. I could clearly see who Adam was. I could definitely hear what he has to say. And above all else, I could feel his emotions so strongly, that I think I suffered for him more than I did Mia. And that is a huge thing. Adam was so lost in this book. He had everything, but he had nothing. Janis Joplin said it best when she sang "Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone." But while I quote that, I realize that Adam did know what he had. He absolutely knew what he had, and he cherished every moment that he had with Mia. He loved her with his whole being before, during, and secretly, after. Not many of us has felt the grief of death, but many of us has most certainly felt the grief of this type of heartbreak. The issues that Forman talks about, grief, loss, anguish...doesn't that talk about death as much as it describes heart-break? Where She Went speaks about a different set of love, death, and heartbreak. And the best part is that while the two books are related, you could see the independence of this on. Where She Went can be read as a stand alone book and you will still feel the emotional impact if you read both. Genius!I hope I didn't give away too much. If I did, I sincerely apologize. If you're reading this, then I most definitely spoiled If I Stay for you. Again, sorry. Read Where She Went for the beautiful story that Adam tells. You will not regret it.