Book Chelle

Bossypants - Tina Fey Posted on Book Chelle.I have been reading a lot of heavy books lately and I needed something light and full of humor. Luckily, I still had Tina Fey's Bossypants to read. And boy, what a perfect time for it! When I first picked up the book, I had to do a double take at the cover. I mean, how could you not love the different hands with her face? I thought that the cover had a Charlie Chaplin-esque feel to it. And in that regard, I believe that Tina Fey is a Charlie Chaplin of our era. I feel that she is one of the most creative and influential personalities in comedy today. Whether it's through her quick wit, her smarts, or her slap-on-your-knee comedy, I feel that telling her life story with the start of this cover did the job right. Fey begins the book with comedy. She doesn't hold back, and within the first five pages, she will have you laughing out loud. But fare warning, it is not for the faint of heart, weak, or sensitive. She is blunt, vulgar, and in-your-face. If you love 30 Rock or even the humor during her time on SNL, then this book will be perfect for you. Fey talks about all of the awkward events growing up. She talks about the reality about trying to fit in when you already feel so left out in this world. She brought some feelings about my childhood that I didn't think about. And when she spins it in a humorous way, it doesn't seem so bad anymore. She also talks about her early career with Second City, the foundations of comedy, and the rules to live by in stand up. She doesn't just talk about her past, she talks about her future as well. Fey talks about motherhood and gives us a look into her personal struggles juggling being a mother and a business woman. She does a fantastic job capturing the realities of life, not only for a mother but for a successful career woman. I must say, it was hard to find any real faults because I admire her so much. She had me laughing through this book, whether the situation called for it or not. But isn't that the way Tina Fey is? Look at her work in comedy. She brings out the upside of a situation, no matter how dire it is. And that is why, you'll enjoy this book.