Book Chelle

Inbetween (Kissed by Death)

Inbetween - Tara A. Fuller Posted on Dark Faerie Tales.Tara Fuller’s Inbetween brings a different spin on paranormal. Death and reapers are mixed within a contemporary world. Inbetween has elements of forbidden love, and brings forth heavy paranormal details. I haven’t read a story based on reapers in a while, so it was refreshing to see this was on my list to read!Emma has not had an easy life. Three years ago, she survived a crash, but lost her father. Since then, her days have been filled with haunted images, coincidental accidents, and hallucinations. Emma was sent away to return her sanity, but lately she is scared that it could all be happening again. Finn is a reaper. He continues his afterlife in between Heaven and Hell. The souls are kept in between these places, awaiting their placements with a chance to return to the living. Finn has made mistakes, mistakes that he will never atone to. Finn’s choices have affected Emma’s life. Now Emma’s life is in danger and Finn has to protect her, at whatever cost.It was a little difficult for me to connect to the characters and the story. Inbetween has a deceivingly simple plot. In the general theme, Inbetween is about forbidden love. Fuller added paranormal elements and created her own world of reapers, death bringers, and gate keepers. But there was a lot going on, enough so that I couldn’t fully appreciate the story.Emma is a troubled girl, feeling she has hallucinations real enough to endanger her life. Despite being a teenager, she had even more problems than normal. I couldn’t understand where she was coming from, at least not completely. I understood the dilemmas of going insane, but atop everything going on, it didn’t seem realistic. Maybe there was a lot of detail, too much which prevented me from fully making that bond with her.Finn wasn’t my perfect guy, but he was someone to adore. He did the wrong thing for the right reasons. It wasn’t instant love, but he warmed up eventually. He was dependable and a constant to the insanity of their reality. He followed his heart, even if it wasn’t always the right thing to do. As the details revealed themselves, I understood him more and it was nice in the end.The pacing of Inbetween was a little slow, only due to the amount of information and detail being told. There was a culture of the afterlife, the history of Emma, and the story of Finn. It felt like so many components trying to compete for attention rather than complimenting each other to make the perfect story. The dual point of view was nice, which I normally do not prefer. I think it added to the story and revealed all the write tidbits of information at the right time. Inbetween is a unique love story of love and life. Some of my preferences may have prevented me from completely loving this story, but I don’t think that will happen to you. You’ll come for the different paranormal story of reapers and death and stay for the love between two people who were never meant to be.