Book Chelle

Sacrifice

Sacrifice - Cayla Kluver Posted on Dark Faerie Tales.It’s not a secret that I’m a fan of Cayla Kluver and her Legacy series. When I was given a copy of Sacrifice, the third and final book in the series, I jumped for joy. I couldn’t wait to see where Alera would take me next, in her not so normal life, built around a fantastic world filled with wonder and amazement. Reading Sacrifice was a little bittersweet. I didn’t want the series to end, but on the other hand I wanted to know the answers to my questions, and i wanted to know what would happen to everyone in the story and two kingdoms. The kingdom of Cokyri has taken over Hytanica. Alera and the citizens of Hytanica admitted defeat to protect her people. Appointed as the Grand Provost to Cokyri’s newly made province, Alera is still considered the leader, yet under the rule of the Cokyrian Empress. Alera has to find a way to balance life between the two kingdoms, sacrificing a little bit here in order to make compromises there. In the midst of it all, she must also maintain the respect of her people, her guards, and her court, all while pleasing the love of her life. It may seem a lot of a young woman, but Alera is no young woman, she is the true ruler of Hytanica.Alera has grown a lot with the span of this journey. I have seen her blossom into this monarch, fighting stereotypes and breaking tradition for the good of her people. In Sacrifice, she is tested every day, not only for her duties, but also on a more personal and emotional level. Regulations, love, and obligation weighs her down. But Alera has become such a strong person, especially given that women in Hytanica was never looked at in a leadership role. In a change of format, Kluver has added an additional point-of view. Shaselle has quickly become another strong woman in Sacrifice. To be honest, even if I understood the importance of her role in Sacrifice, I didn’t care for her. Shaselle was forced to grow up too fast, and she had a huge struggle breaking free from her spoiled and privileged life. She was too headstrong and stubborn, and at times I found her antics to be too much, too fast. I will say that she has a strong spirit, leading her life without a second thought. Shaselle added additional interest to the story and another plot device, but overall, I didn’t care for her. Kluver brought back the characters I love, like London, who is so loyal and brave. In my opinion he is one of the main characters, and I felt that without him, Alera would have been lost. There’s also Narian, who at times clouds Alera’s judgement, but at other times, adds important value. I had a love/hate relationship with him in Sacrifice, but he was still one of my favorite characters. And finally, one last important character to mention is Steldor. He surprised me the most. Growth, maturity, and kinship is what I would use to describe him. Steldor was another great character to get to know all over again. The setting of Sacrifice takes place within a new version of Hytanica. As Cokyri’s new province, Hytanica is no longer what it used to be. What was described as beautiful and peaceful in the previous two books, Hytanica has a sense of decay and ruin. Given the war between the two nation, Hytanica’s change became a character all on its own, providing an additional dimension to the story. It’s familiarity to the citizens, but also a newness to the reader provided an excellent backdrop of the story. Overall, I felt that Sacrifice was a good ending to the series. My questions were answered, the characters I loved received a good resolved end, and I felt content after I read the last page. I had a few things I loved, a few I liked, and some that I disliked, but they were all things of personal taste. I highly urge you to read Sacrifice and the rest of the Legacy series by Cayla Kluver. I don’t think you’ll regret it.