Book Chelle

Requiem

Requiem - 2.5Posted on Dark Faerie Tales.The last installment in Lauren Oliver’s Delirium trilogy is Requiem. After the cliffhanger from Pandemonium, I would have probably died waiting a year to read this book. Luckily, I read the series after the release of Requiem. I don’t know how many fans did it, but I’m just glad I didn’t have to endure the wait. But I think my expectations were set really high for this book. Delirium introduced me to a wonderful and unique story that I fell in love with. Pandemonium brought me to the point of intense infatuation. But with Requiem, I loved it until I didn’t. I will try my best to keep this review spoiler free, but there maybe a moment or two that it will be impossible to do so while proving a point. Also, if you’re reading this review, I’m going to assume that you have read Pandemonium and know what has happened so far.Told in a dual point-of-view storyline, Requiem follows the lives of Lena and Hana. Lena is in the Wilds, after a surviving captivity in the tunnels. She is learning to live in a different and altered version of the Wilds. Lena’s outlook is different, a little more jaded, and definitely numb. Julian shows his affections for Lena, but she doesn’t know what her heart wants. Alex coming back to the picture has changed everything for the better and worse. Hana on the other hand, is cured, about to be married, and living the life that her mother wanted for her. Hana’s life isn’t all that was promised. She still finds herself questioning things, and with the upcoming nuptials to her husband, she must make sure to keep these emotions in check. Lena changes a lot in Requiem. There are choices that Lena must make, that will change her future. There’s a large love triangle that sticks out and I wish it was handled differently. There is so much pain all around, for the characters and the reader, that I wish it wasn’t so angsty. There is also Lena’s new outlook about the Wilds. She doesn’t seem to appreciate it now as she did then. I think the fantasized version of her freedom and escape has been broken into this harsh reality that she’s not so sure of. I feel bad for her most of the time. It’s like she had doubts and second guesses on her life. I didn’t connect with her in Requiem. I didn’t think she made the choices I would have made or done things that I would have. Where I previously thought she was unique and fierce is now muddled through my emotions of longing. She blends into the scenes, and it broke my heart.I appreciated Hana’s point of view, but often found myself wondering why it was in the book. I assume that Oliver wanted the reader to see the other side of the symbolic fence. Hana’s life was perfect on paper, but on the inside it was anything but. But what I loved most about Hana was her determination. It was refreshing to see true rebellion, to do something dangerous and against society, to help someone she cared for. Hana definitely put herself into danger, another thing I didn’t expect.Oliver brings a lot of death, decay, and demise in Requiem. Where Delirium was perfect and untouched, and Pandemonium was eye opening and honest, Requiem brings a darker side to the story. I expected teenage angst and romantic drama, but it was much more than that. The story talks about the harsh realities of the Wilds and not the previously thought impression that it was about living life in a freeing way. Oliver writes about the negative effects in this romanticized way that flows like poetry. She makes it easy to accept what is happening in Lena’s world, all with a swift breeze. The direction that Requiem took was drastic, at least for me. I thought that the plot devices were a little predictable and the scenarios drastic. In the end, I was a little confused at the events that took place. I wanted more and felt cheated of an ending. It wasn’t what I expected, given my feelings for the previous two books. The ending was bold enough, but left me without resolutions.