Book Chelle

Redwood Bend (Virgin River Series #18)

Redwood Bend - Robyn Carr Posted on Book Chelle.Redwood Bend is the 18th book in Robyn Carr's Virgin Rivers series. It amazes me that Carr can still tell a story that is refreshing and new. I've said it before that these books have become my guilty pleasure. I welcome each couple with open arms, and am always ready to escape into the wonderful this wonderful town. While some scenarios may seem familiar, each character is a unique individual that brings something new to the little town. In this case, I fell in love with Katie and her twin boys.Redwood Bend is about reluctant love, in my opinion. It is about picking up the pieces of a past life, and moving on. Katie Malone has done it several times now, and she will do it again for her boys. We first met Katie in the last Virgin River book, Hidden Summit. The danger has passed, and she is stopping by Virgin River to spend a little quality time with her brother, Conner, before she decides where she'll end up next. But fortunately for Katie, love has other plans.I know mothers like Katie, and I felt a connection towards her. I fell in love with her strength as a single mother, her gigantic love of her sons, and for her larger than life personality. She was realistic, and like I said, like many mothers that I know. Her boys were unruly at times, but she knew how to handle them. And like most things, she knew what she wanted and how to get it. She was a mature adult, not afraid to have a little fun.Dylan, I thought, was a good match for her. He had a good head on his shoulders, but I felt that Dylan brought Katie out of her comfort zone. Katie needed to be loved fast and steamy, without obligation. On the other side of that equation, Dylan needed to know how to be loved. They were both reluctant to open their hearts, all because of their past and their current situations.Robyn Carr's characters always feel real, to me. Carr places them in realistic situations and characterizes them with real emotion. Whether they are past characters, or new ones, I always feel a connection to them. There's magic within the city limits of Virgin River, and most of the time, I find myself wishing I lived within their close and quaint community.To add to what I said, I feel that the writing compliments the characters. For example, Katie and Dylan were low-key in comparison to the other main characters. While the attraction instant, it wasn't a quick and aggressive whirlwind romance. Instead, Katie and Dylan's romantic relationship was quiet and subtle.Redwood Bend is a great read. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Robyn Carr knows how to take you away and show you a different type of love. Why don't you visit Carr and the folks over at Virgin River. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay.